Wednesday, October 29, 2008

This morning

Well, I've been thinking about a friend of mine's post about her 2 year old's behavior, especially since they brought home #2 a few weeks ago. She described "walking on egg shells" to prevent tantrums over tiny things. I realized I am not only walking on egg shells, but running, leaping, cartwheeling and doing backbends on egg shells for the same reason. For instance this morning:
Seth what do you want for breakfast?
Kix
I go get Kix
NO RICE KRISPIES!
I go get Rice Krispies, and move to take away the Kix
NO BOTH!
I leave them both
Do you want a banana too?
NO BANANA
I go get a banana for the babies in their high chairs
WANT BANANA TOO
Ok do you want to hold it or should I cut it
CUT
I cut the banana on a plate and hand it to him.
NO HOLD IT HOLD IT HOLD IT
Well its already cut, so you have to eat it that way.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
proceeds to dump the bananas off the plate onto the table.
I take the banana away
WANT BANANA!!!!!
Will you leave it on the plate?
NO NO NO DONE EATING!
and he gets down.
Want to watch Bug's Life.
OK Ill put on Bug's Life.
I put it on
NO REGULAR GEORGE! (his term for the TV show as opposed to the movie)
No, you asked for bugs life and thats what I put on (keep in mind between all of this I'm feeding the babies)
TURN IT OFF
ok Ill turn it off.
About 3o seconds later... BUGS LIFE, BUGS LIFE on TV!
No, you asked me to turn it off.
Seth smacks me on the back
I pick him up and put him on the other side of the baby gate.
Screaming ensues, then he bangs his head on the floor and cries some more, yelling that he hurt his head (I struggle not to yell "DUH!" back at him.

Anyway, you get the point. All through this I'm fighting not just giving in on all points, get him a new banana, turn various shows on and off, but the reality is that wouldn't necessarily help, he would just keep asking for other things.

So now, in order for me to write this, he is watching Bug's Life, and eating MiniWheats (whole other story :) )

Which is why I will be celebrating one year survival, instead of one year birthdays in about a month.

Sorry Chris!

3 comments:

Peanut & Bean's Parents said...

Your "This morning" sounds like my most mornings, and afternoons, and evenings...

Congratulations on surviving.

christine mcclain said...

Wow - OK, so I guess I'm not alone in this huh! Thanks for the empathy blog. ; ) Nice to know I'm in for this for at least another year. lol!

The Beard Family of 5 said...

I always forget to just call Cathy when I am feeling just like that.... I have to say that I'm proud of you for not saying Duh. I think I would have had too. ( Or perhaps something more mature like: " well then you shouldn't bang your head like that huh? " )